About this compilation…
With the exception of the three songs by Sweden’s Edweena and the UK’s The Enters and Leave the Planet, all songs are from bands located in the USA. This seeming favoritism is actually due to my holding back several songs for use in themed compilations, several of which are coming along quite nicely and will be posted in the near future.
Edweena‘s Solar Days and Lunar Nights was in the top half of my list of the ‘Twenty Best Albums Released in 2013’, and I was looking forward to hearing more of this Stockholm trio’s work in the coming years. Unfortunately, the death of Guitarist/Vocalist Magnus Thelin also brought about the end of the band. “Lunar Nights” is from a three-song single of previously unreleased material that didn’t make it onto last year’s album.
San Francisco is well represented by two exciting newcomers: My Red Dress and Silver Shadows. The latter seems to have released one song in the spring of 2013 before following up with this year’s self-titled EP. In 2013, the former released Ceremony, a three-song single that isn’t as polished as the band’s two subsequent singles, but it does feature a photograph of the downtown Portland train station’s clock tower on its cover.
Speaking of Portland… King Mountain Petrol has the honor of representing our city (and the Northwest) with a track from Tusk, the band’s first single. KMP later contributed three songs to a split cassette shared with Bad Hex.
Moving to the Midwest, we find Saint Paul, Minnesota, Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Sheboygan, Wisconsin to be the homes of Haley Bonar, Brain Transplants, and Geena respectively. Geena‘s Get Bored was only released a few day ago.
The East Coast avoids getting shut out with the contribution of a song from New York City’s, Chimes. Either this band has two separate Bandcamp pages, or it has released only the one song featured in this compilation.
TRACK LIST & SOURCES
01. “Out There” by My Red Dress ❀ facebook
02. “Dissolving Cube” by Brain Transplants ❀ facebook
03. “By My Vampire’s Side” by Silver Shadows ❀ facebook
04. “Thunder Muscle” by King Mountain Petrol ❀ facebook ❀ tumblr ❀ instagram
05. “Last War” by Haley Bonar ❀ facebook ❀ website
06. “Lunar Nights” by Edweena ❀ facebook
07. “Wipe Out” by Chimes ❀ facebook ❀ tumblr
08. “Acid Smile” by Geena ❀ facebook
09. “Coasts” by Leave The Planet ❀ facebook ❀ instagram
10. “Sweet Girl” by The Enters ❀ facebook